Total Pageviews

Monday, April 2, 2012

A Reminder from Shutterstock

As I was looking for a picture to use in my blog this week, I came across a photography blog I found quite interesting! It's called The Shutterstock Blog. They seem to update quite regularly and they cover many different topics. Although the work and information is on digital photography, there are still many techniques and tips they give, as well as great ideas and wonderful pictures. Honestly, it makes me consider really trying to save my money to get myself a nice digital Nikon D7000 (est. $1,500...) to try challenging and advancing myself into the digital photography world. Now that I think about it though, I enjoy working in the dark room too much to ever give up film photography!

The picture that really caught my eye as I was clicking on their links and looking through this blog is this one.
© Shutterstock/andreiuc88
It is supposed to give a "spooky" and "chilling" effect.  This post was close to Halloween so that is why they were covering tricks to create effects for a scary picture. Even without the fog this would be a very lovely and intriguing photograph. This actually touches on one of my previous posts about the technique of framing. The two trees in the middle create that frame that really enhance the center of the photograph which draws the eye to the fogginess and other dark trees in the background. However, the creepiness is not what brought my attention to this photo; nor was it the beautiful composition either. This picture actually reminded me of one of my own pictures.

The compositions are completely different and because mine is black and white, the color and contrast will be dramatically different, more-so in my photo. What is similar about the two is that they both have strictly darks and lights in the pictures, no crazy and bright colored subjects. This gives a picture distinct lines and shadows that draw my eye. To someone who isn't really into photography and only look at the picture, they're probably thinking, 'She's crazy, these pictures look nothing alike...'; however, to someone who looks at the attributes, techniques, and details of a picture, they might see the similarity much faster. That is something I love about looking at photographs. I don't just look at whether it's a pretty picture, I look deeper and think about what the photographer did to get the picture to look the way it does.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great analysis blog post, Jessica. You connect to a previous post, you review technique, and you point out details to your readers that, being photography novices, we might not notice at first glance. That's the *art* of a blog on photography. Your criticisms can be heard.

    Now: the trees image seems like one tree doubled to create the arch, but then the center isn't doubled as well...does that add to the "mystery" of the image?

    ReplyDelete